I'm trying to come up with a system for Starfic whereby users vote on a 1-to-5 scale for how good a story is; those votes are then combined into a score, which the stories are sorted on. The problem I'm having is in figuring out how to convert votes to scores. Here are some of the issues I'm thinking about:
- Is two 5s better than one 5?
- Is two 4s better than one 5?
- How about ten 4s vs. one 5?
- How about ten 4s on a ten-day-old story vs. one 5 on a brand-new story?
- Is a story with a 3 and a 5 different from a story with two 4s?
- Is a story with twenty 5s and a 4 worse than a story with three 5s?
- Are votes from registered users more reliable than anonymous users? Are votes from authors more reliable than readers?